Monday 11 July 2011

Of Buddhist burial grounds and behemoth buildings in Busan

This weekend was another rainy monsoon-y one, so I stayed close to home (plus I'm trying to save money for my trip...I think Indonesia is out for a few reasons...the plane ticket costs twice as much as to the Philippines or Thailand, and you need a visa for Indonesia, adding more expenses and headaches to the process).

On Friday and Saturday nights we went out for dinner with a bunch of friends and it was a blast (except on Saturday it was raining so hard that even with my umbrella I was soaked to the bone

But, on Saturday, a bunch of us (Ross, Nicole, Alice, Kim and I) headed to Busan...we figured if the weather was good we'd bum around town, if the weather was crappy, we'd hit up Centum City, the world's largest department store. I haven't been to Busan nearly enough times, and that really has to change...it's a beautiful city and only an hour away by bus (and the bus costs around $3!!).

Busan also has a wicked subway system, so getting across town from the bus station to Centum City is an easy, cheap and simple affair (get on the subway from the bus depot, sit on the subway for half an hour and get off underneath Centum City...it's brilliant). Oh...and I got a subway card and charged it enough so I don't have to worry about subway fares for another couple of trips...more incentive to go back! Anyhoo...Centum City is pretty crazy...it's massive...and it's filled with all sorts of shops selling everything from fruits to the latest fashions and cutting-edge electronics. I did a quick photo-stitch with the G9 to give you guys a bit of an idea of how massive it is (this isn't even all the floors, by the way...under the "floor" in this picture there are still a few levels!)


There is also a skating rink on the 4th or 5th floor...and, of course, the most exciting thing about ANY skating rink is the Zamboni...I was lucky enough to catch it in action...the fact that it was a shark Zamboni made my weekend!! (also...let me tell ya...panning something that moves at a snail's pace is harder than it looks haha)


And the view from the top of Centum City (9th floor)...pano stitch with the G9...the ocean is at the extreme left of the picture!


I managed to control my urges to buy stuff (I saw a beautiful tripod that thankfully had an absolutely idiotic plate release mechanism that kept me from taking it home with me) and walked out with just a small gift for my brother. Oh...and trippy as it is...while we were in the bookstore (I found a Terry Pratchett book!!! I think I'll be back for that!), I bumped into a guy who lives literally 200 feet from me...small world!

After that, I came back to my area and went for dinner with a few new people (finally got to meet Christopher...a super nice guy with whom I've been talking for months, but somehow never managed to hang out in person)...and then Dawni and I headed home...I was feeling pretty crappy (was coming down with something), so she told me to cheer up...turns out splashing in a big puddle and soaking her up to the waist was EXACTLY the kind of pick-me-up I needed. Thanks Dawni, you're a true friend!! :)

Sunday was a write-off...was feeling pretty crappy and the weather was so-so...went for a run, then geeked out at Lotte Mart (what's awesome about the grocery store is hang out long enough on a Sunday and you'll bump into friends...never a dull moment).

Then Monday came. My hell day...5 classes plus my afterschool English club. Got through that (still feeling pretty crappy, not sure what it is...my parents are saying it's probably the flu. Ugh. I dunno, all I know is I had zero strength and just wanted to sleep all day. So, I got home, went for a run, then went for a 1.5 hour hike. Because that's what smart people do (I can see my mom shaking her head right now). I figured I'm just going to kick my own ass in an effort to kill whatever is in me. Anyhoo, I decided to try a few new trails last night and man am I ever happy...I have to go back with my real camera, but check this out...I found a bunch of Buddhist burial grounds halfway up the mountain in the middle of the forest!!


Another one:


This one was the biggest by far:


Part of the last one:


All this up the mountain in a forest!! Blows the mind...must have been a lot of effort considering the size of those stones or the structures are made of!

Definitely going back with the real camera one of these days.

But for now I have to run...my first (of the two today...mwhahahaha!!!!) is starting...have a splendid day, everyone!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment