Tuesday 8 November 2011

If the drivers won't get me, my apartment will...check out the dump I live in...

The apartments in Korea are far from perfect: Most are tiny with very little storage space, buildings are piled on top of each other, so some people's view consists of the back wall of the apartment next door, and with so many people living in close proximity, noise can be an issue.

Given the warm, humid climate of Korea, mold can also be a factor, though usually a minor one treatable with regular cleaning and some good chemicals.

Well...as luck would have it, my apartment has gone absolutely crazy with mold. I had bad mold in one corner (affecting two walls) a few months ago. The landlord graciously responded by stripping off as little of the wallpaper as possible and then re-applying wallpaper to the area. Oh yeah...in my apartment, they put wallpaper directly on the bare concrete wall. Gee, I wonder why there are mold issues. Compounding the problem, no doubt, is the fact that there are mysterious water leaks throughout the building. They've been chasing these leaks for about 6 months, and have failed every time.

Despite all my efforts....generally being a clean person and regularly cleaning the place, (cleaning the bathroom religiously...that's where mold usually gets started around here), airing out the room during the day, heating it to dry it out at night, always keeping windows closed when it's raining, getting a de-humifier, etc...my apartment exploded with black mold the past couple of weeks. This morning I dragged all my furniture away from the wall and took pictures.

Along the wall where they replaced the wallpaper a few months ago...as you can tell, the worst of it is in the exact place where the problem was last time...this mold goes from wall to wall, floor to ceiling:


Up the wall...we're talking about huge patches of mold (square meters of it), not just a little here, a little there...


Along the ceiling...it spreads day by day...



Along the wall next to my bed:


Behind my headboard (can't be healthy sleeping next to that 8 hours a day)...this is about 4 feet tall...I just noticed this...it's spreading exactly where it's been patched in the past...I'm assuming while the previous tenant was living there:


Behind the headboard:


And this is really disgusting...my clothes INSIDE my dresser (never put them away wet as a precaution, in fact, I haven't worn this jacket in about 5 months) are getting moldy, as are numerous bags, etc inside drawers in cabinets...



So...today I showed the lady in administration these photos and she (as well as the rest of the office) were very concerned about the situation. They're going to try to work things out with the landlord (a waste of time, that mold is just going to come back, but I said okay, since it's proper protocol) and if it doesn't work, then they'll move me (an expensive option they're trying to avoid).

Thankfully they were so grossed out and shocked by the pictures and I'm in such good standing in my school that they're on my side and really pushing to resolve this issue ASAP...in the meantime...I'm going to try to avoid spending time at home haha...

All right, that's it out of me...have a great day, everyone!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment