Monday 26 December 2011

Christmas in a far-away land...

Spending the holidays away from your family and best friends is always a bit of a bummer, especially when you realize that it's become the norm, rather than the exception. As of this year, I've spent three out of the last 5 Christmases thousands of kilometres away from "home."

However, this year, unlike the other two, I wasn't trapped at work, listening to the police scanner blurt out suicide after suicide call (how's that for a depressing thought on December 25th?).

This year, I have to admit, I had a lot of fun, and can happily say that, short of spending the holidays at home, this is as good as it gets, thanks in a huge part to the awesome people I'm surrounded by in Korea.

On the 24th, it was a gorgeous sunny day (let's be honest, they're all gorgeous sunny days in Korea...I bought a new umbrella over a month ago and have only used it once), so I decided to grab the camera and the telephoto lens and head to the Gimhae International Airport just outside of Busan to see if I can snap some pics of airplanes. My good friend Dawni decided to join me, so we made a little trip of it. Sadly, I couldn't find a suitable spot and the air was really hazy, so I didn't get a single decent shot, but I got this for you guys. Remember how I always say that 99.9% of cars in Korea are black, white or silver, and they're pretty much all Kias or Hyundais? Check it out...the airport parking lot..how pathetically boring is this???


After that, we headed back to Samgye, where Tom and Liz organized an awesome foreigner carolling session! For an hour or so we stood outside grocery stores and cafes (about 20 of us, some dressed as Santa!) and singing our joyful hearts out and collecting money for charity. Many Koreans simply ignored us, but some were genuinely happy to see us, yelled "Merry Christmas" and took pictures of us. I have an absolutely horrendous voice (in the past I've been asked to stop singing in the shower and rushed off the stage at the noreabang - Korean kareoke), so I generally don't sing in public, but being part of a big, happy group was a ton of fun! In addition, it was cool to revive an old tradition that has all but died in the West, in Korea.

On Christmas day - another cold, but gorgeous clear, sunny day - I talked to my family on Skype (gotta love modern technology...I remember when I was a kid "videophones" were the stuff of science fiction!), and headed out for a motorbike ride (thanks Ross, for lending me the ol' trusty Daelim!). It was a great day to be on the road, especially because on Sundays traffic tends to be extremely light (most people are either in church and/or recuperating from Saturday's soju binge haha). Then we had an absolutely awesome Christmas potluck at Ross and Nicole's.

It's interesting to celebrate Christmas so far away from family in a country that does very little for Christmas (gifts are not generally exchanged and for the majority of the population it's simply another day)...but with the right group of friends, it feels pretty dang right!

And, best of all, my family is awesome and they're leaving the tree up and the presents wrapped until I get home in 3 weeks....that's right...3 more weeks and I'll be home...whoopee.

Okay...back to my all-important job. Right now all I'm doing is watching Tom and Jerry with the kids...tough life! ;)

Cheerio,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment