Sunday 15 May 2011

MARK IS COMING!!! I lost 20 lbs! Plus I go to Korea's foremost dinosaur place and have a chill day at the beach in Geoje!

Wait for it. Waaaaaiiiiiit for it. WAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIT FOR IT....here it comes....

I had another amazing weekend!

BAM! I know. I say that every weekend. But honestly it's true every time.

First of all, I apologize for the late post, work was kind of busy and Blogspot was down for the day when I had nothing to do...go figure.

Couple of quick news...as of Saturday, I have been here two months. Still loving the decision to do this. As I've said before, I miss my family and friends, but it's an awesome life here. I'm getting experience, seeing the world saving money like crazy and completely reviving my photography.

Also...Mark is coming to visit in June! I can't tell you guys how excited I am about this. Mark has been one of my brothers from another mother for the past 10 years. He's a thoroughly awesome guy who has always been there for me, most recently letting me crash on his couch (and keep his dog awake with my snoring) for two months so I can get my TESL. It should be an amazing few weeks while he's here! :)

Also...kind of awesome news...I've been eating really healthy and exercising a lot...and it's starting to show...as of this weekend, I'm down to 179 lbs, or 21lbs less than when I moved here. I'm hoping to get down to 170-175 and maybe add a bit of muscle haha.

Anyhoo...on Thursday night I went shooting and got some decent long-exposure shots of the canal around my house. Remember how it was bone dry when I moved here? Not so dry no more...


And just down the road...


And a ghost bus for the fun of it...about 30 second exposure...cars were moving in every direction, except for these two...so they kind of "burned" into the picture...


Friday was a super easy day at work, it was "sports day" for the kids, so I did nothing but make up lesson plans for the coming week.

On Friday night, I headed into downtown Changwon with Dawni, Ross and Nicole and met up with a bunch of foreigners at Yongji Park for some good chats and sing-a-longs of wicked tunes by everyone from Oasis to the Rolling Stones...awesome night for sure :)

On Saturday, Dawni, Michelle, Des and I headed to Goseong, the dinosaur capital of Korea. Having been to Drumheller, Alberta, I had pretty high hopes for Goseong, and it didn't disappoint!

Goseong is about 1 hr away from Masan and from Goseong the bus takes about 1hr 20 min to get to the museum through some beautiful Korean villages/farmlands!

The we got to the museum...it was in a completely idyllic place...on top of a mountain in the middle of a lush forest, a short walk away from the ocean! It was a beautiful, modern building filled with skeleton replicas, real fossils and a ton of other cool stuff.

In true Korean fashion, the entrance fee was incredibly low! 3,000 won (or about $2.50)...back home this would easily be $20-25.

I don't have much time to write (I'm at a grocery store stealing internet and I think they're closing)...so here are some pics....T-Rex skeleton: (by the way, sorry about the pics, all unedited, straight off the card...I'll edit them and throw up the better versions ASAP)



Stegosaurus!!!


Can't remember, but cool-o-saurus:


Velociraptor statue (have I mentioned how much I love my 16-35L lately? This is at f4...tack sharp)


And...one of the absolutely coolest/most amazing things here...dinosaur footprints (in fact, entire sets of tracks)!! It was mindblowing thinking that some animal walked in mud a hundred million years ago and I'm looking at that...compared to these footsteps, the pyramids are babies...


More footprints (and awesome scenery)...you might have to click on this to see the original...they're under water between the waves in the centre at the bottom:


Dino statue in the park:


I'll have more pics later, but I'm at the local Lotte Mart (food store) stealing WiFi and they're closing so I should wrap this up!

This was the exit from the park...they had a big roller slide...and adults, children, everyone went down it...it was such a novel and fun idea!!!


After that, we went to a Korean restaurant and came home (sorry to wrap up so quickly...).

On Sunday, I met up with Mark, Kez and Peter and we headed into Geoje (I've been here before, awesome place!)

We bummed around town a bit, then headed to the beach for a relaxing day (I've posted pics from this beach before). A few weeks ago I bought Catcher in the Rye (in English, unabridged edition for $8!!!) so I finally got to read it...I also made a little time-lapse video of the beach for the fun of it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agwELzIwEiw

We also went to the foreign mart and bought another batch of food from all over the world...then came home...all in all a great weekend :)

I'll have more pics up from the dinosaur place ASAP....hope you all had an excellent weekend too :)

Back to the grind I go!

T

2 comments: