Tuesday 22 March 2011

Meeting new friends every day :)

Well, yesterday (after talking to my parents and brother on Skype...yay for technology!), armed with a bagful of ddalgi (aka strawberries...my word of the day) that I got at school I set out on another adventure around Samgye, the lively little place south of where I live. There are a lot of shops and street vendors and people on the street, so it's always interesting.

Before long, I bumped into Christie, a Saffer (aka from South Africa) who was super nice, but alas she's heading back home next week :( While talking to her, another guy walked by and stopped to chat...Peter, from New York...definitely like Samgye for that, every time I go down there I find whities (or foreigners, as we are called politically correctly). Again, great guy.

THEN...on my way home, I bumped into another two whities, Grat (short for Graton or Gratton, I'm not sure) a Brit dude and his (I think) American girlfriend Leslie...anyways...FOUR foreigners in a day...personal record. Grat and Leslie were super nice too, both had a wicked sense of humour and they teach at a hagwon (private after school "academy") just down the street from me.

Tonight, a bunch of us are getting together at a little restaurant two blocks from my place, so I'm really looking forward to that!

Okay...now onto pictures, because everyone likes pictures...on my walk to/from school some of the sights...

Overpasses over overpasses...yup, it's like someone went nuts in SIM City haha (bad picture, but you get the idea...this is over the monsoon canal)


Armoured vehicles on the back of a transport truck...just randomly parked in a lot on my way from school:


In the morning rush hour, they have happy policemen with cute little white gloves directing traffic:


Random people grow random vegetables (that I think are sold at random sidewalk stalls) in the most random of places! I'm pretty sure they just take over no-man's-land and call it their own little plot...under an overpass:


And on the now-dry banks of the massive monsoon canal:


Okay...this is it for now, I have to keep it short as I have to go teach 4 classes now...they also want me to teach next Saturday...not sure how I feel about it...I'd get paid overtime (or I won't do it haha), which would be nice, and it's first class, which means I have to be here at 8:50, but I'm out by 9:35, so I really still have the whole day ahead of me...I might do it, as long as it doesn't become something they expect of me every Saturday. They're doing their best to suck up to me to do it haha...okay...I'm out...I'll update you guys on the outcome of the dinner tomorrow :)

T

No comments:

Post a Comment