Sunday 26 June 2011

My first typhoon...

Sooo....this weekend the monsoon season hit full force. We had some wicked rains, a few lightning storms and...I just found out. A typhoon. That's right, I have now officially lived through countless earthquakes, chasing tornadoes and Typhoon Meari!

The nasty weather started on Friday, when I was out bumming around downtown Changwon with Dawni. Things were great, I bought some more "bullets" for my BB gun (they're everywhere!!) and I was an absolute grump. I hate to do it, but I have to blame the meds. They're making me feel like absolute crap. I was at school earlier that day, sitting at my desk, then felt dizzy, my head started humming and then my head hit the desk. Not good. Definitely not good. Anyways...we were hanging out in Changwon and just as we were about to leave the skies opened up and it started raining...hard!

Overnight it was the same story. At around midnight-ish there was a wicked thunder and lightning storm, and the rain just kept going and going. Then, interestingly enough, it was beautiful on Saturday morning. So, I did a few errands (laundry, dishes, shower, etc) and got ready to go on a bit of a walk. I got on the bus and...you guessed it...it started pouring. So much for that. I managed to get ONE shot before it started pouring...nothing special, but it's all I have haha



So I rode the bus and enjoyed the scenery, went into Masan, grabbed groceries and came home. Then, on Saturday night it started raining hard and didn't stop until Sunday mid-day. The wind was blowing, the trees on the mountain a block from me were swaying and the entire sky looked like a gigantic grey swimming pool. It was so crazy, I was watching the forest and when the wind picked up, it started blowing the water off the trees in addition to the rain that was falling and the whole forest (a block from me!) would just about disappear out of sight there was so much mist!

I'm guessing it was a pretty big deal, because I heard someone speaking over a loudspeaker, and I chalked it up to either the North Koreans invading or someone selling watermelons. Turns out, they were doing it all over my area (and I'm guessing Korea in general) and it was a typhoon warning!! Crazy stuff.

So, for most of the weekend, I stayed at home, watched movies, at my pizza and played Gran Turismo haha. It was the first chill day I've had since I got to Korea. It was rather pleasant, I must admit!

Today, after the rain eased up at around 2, I left my house and walked to Lotte Mart (where I am now, stealing wifi) and found out it was a typhoon...

Things are really nice right now, though...I'm not sure if it's just the calm before another whipping from the storm, or the storm is over, but it's warm, humid as hell and lightly raining now...it even stopped raining for a while...and I snapped off a few pics with my G9 on my walk here:


And another one of the same flower, but I decided to do a little bit of editing I wouldn't normally do...what do you think?


Anyhoo, that's it for now...oh yeah, one more thing...the toe is doing MUCH better! I think not being on it constantly for two days really helped the little guy. I have to go back tomorrow to get the dressing changed on it, but I'm hoping the visits will stop haha...I know it's not much, but 8-12k won every other day is starting to add up!

Have a great rest of the weekend, everyone and those of you in Korea...stay safe, hopefully we've seen the worst of this typhoon!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment