Tuesday 26 April 2011

Found one of my photos stolen on the Internet (who told me about thechive.com?)...and I finally made it to the foreigner bar

Good morning everyone! Still overcast here, but no longer raining (though it rained all day yesterday). Once the Sun comes back out I'm sure everything is going to look beautiful! Today was off to a bad start, the idiots upstairs who keep waking me up by stomping down the stairs like a couple of elephants at 6-6:30 a.m. every morning kicked it up a notch by yelling to each other from different floors, slamming doors and stomping like utter morons at 6 a.m. sharp. I'm trying to not make any enemies, but the next time these guys do this I'm going to do some yelling of my own. My entire apartment/street are super quiet, I never hear anyone except these people, and they make a racket every bloody day. Thankfully I managed to get back to sleep about half an hour later, but still, it's a crappy way to start your day.

Yesterday was another good day...I got to talk to my brother on Skype, which always makes my day :) He's just getting back from sunny California...lucky bum. After school I went home, made an awesome dinner (fried egg sandwiches with sauteed zucchini, jalapenos and onions) with potato wedges, Camambert cheese and cherry tomatoes on the side), then headed out to the foreigner bar (O'Brien's) in Changwon with Dawni, Michelle and Lina, a Korean whose English is remarkably excellent. The atmosphere in O'Brien's was good and I had a great time with the three ladies, but it was kind of interesting that everyone in the bar just kept to themselves/their own little groups. When we have get-togethers in Jung-ri, people usually sit in one big group, wander around, socialize, etc...guess it's the difference between a big city and a small town gathering place :) Still, I'm glad I finally went, it was a pretty good place.

After that, we took a late bus home (I'm happy to say that there are still buses running at 11:15 p.m.) and I crashed after watching a few minutes of How I Met Your Mother haha.

The other bit of news from yesterday is I found a picture a website stole from me! I have always wondered when the first stolen picture will surface. I mean the Internet is an incredibly huge place with likely trillions of trillions of pictures, so the chances of bumping into one stolen from you are slim to none, right? I was secretly hoping that my first stolen picture would be something amazing that I am incredibly proud of having taken, etc...sadly, that is not the case. 

Years ago, when I was in Grande Prairie (northern Alberta, Canada), I saw a really ugly redneck truck done up in Hot Wheels stick-ons from Wal Mart...this guy spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars making his Dodge Ram look like it was a reject from a toy factory (It also has cool Zorro masks over the headlights)...anyway...while messing around on thechive.com (who told me about this site? Someone just sent me the link to it last week), I found this:

(Picture #18)


Or...


Those of you from Grande Prairie will recognize this as the little building in Muskoseepi Park near the outdoor pool. 

If it was a better picture I'd raise hell with the owners of the site, but as it is I'm going to let it go and love the fact that thanks to me this guy's truck is now being ridiculed all over the world :) 

Also, since I have no new pictures to show you guys (I'll have plenty starting next week when I'll finally have time to go through and edit the ones I have already taken), here are a few random ones...

Dumb car modifications are not just a specialty of rednecks in Grande Prairie...spotted this beauty on the back of an otherwise bone stock Hyundai over the weekend:



Also, Koreans LOVE their badges on cars...it's not unusual to see things like a Hyundai Accent Premium Gold XD SL VVT XLT Diamond Sport Edition car...and it's usually just a regular Hyundai with alloys and air conditioning. The other thing they love is displaying their relationship status. How? Relationship rings, for example. As early as 2.5 weeks into the relationship they'll give each other (or maybe just the guy to the girl, I'm not exactly sure) relationship rings. You can also spot couples from a mile away because they wear the exact same clothes. Sometimes it's as simple as identical T-shirts and jeans, but usually it's more elaborate, like the couple where both were wearing Kermit-green pants and matching pink hoodies. They looked like a couple of delicious slices of watermelon. But I digress. What do you do when you mix Koreans' love of badges on cars with their fancy for displaying their relationship status? This:


Yup...relationship car badges. They're everywhere. It's awesome.

Finally, and this is for my mom...she wanted to see what my new blanket looks like. I warned her that it's girly, but hey, it was the cheapest decent quality one I could find, so what do I care? Plus, truth be told, I like that it's so colourful. It brightens up the room.


Okay, that's it for today! Hope you guys are having a great day, talk to you soon!

T

1 comment:

  1. I havent been to some of the other foreigner bars around Changwon, but I know that most of those people that were sitting at the bar that night were not teachers ( most likely engineers ) and yess they dont tend to socialize as much. There was one or two teachers besides us there...but I agree it can definately get clique-ish. As long as I got friends around tho Im all good with it. The weekends are way more lively tho. Im glad ya had a good time.

    ReplyDelete