Thursday 14 April 2011

A tale of two bicycle locks...

I don't really have anything new to report today, so I thought I'd throw some random stories/pictures our there...last night was another wicked night, went for my run and bumped into my Korean friend (the one I met on the train to Jinju a few weeks ago) and had a good chat with him. Then met up with Hayley, a Brit girl, for dinner and drinks...she's well awesome and really excited to explore around here, so I think more hangout time is in our future.

Okay...the two locks...bit of a long story, but it's pretty funny and a little indicative of the way things are done around here, so bear with me. :) My classroom has two doors...one is a set of double-doors that swing open, the other is a sliding door. The sliding door has no lock on it and the swinging double doors have always had a broken lock (since I got here anyways). The school's fix for the swinging doors was....a bicycle lock. Because that's not ghetto at all. Also, because the bicycle lock is kind of loose on the handles, the kids can force the door open and sneak in (in case they forget that the other door has no lock at all on it, which they usually do). So, I have my coteacher coming up to me almost daily telling me the vice principal caught kids in my room and I should be careful. Right. I'm going to set up a rocking chair in front of my classroom and wait there with a double-barreled shotgun to make sure no one goes in. On Monday, the bloody bike lock FINALLY broke...and I was extremely happy. This meant they will finally fix the lock on the door! Nope. I was wrong. The next day they showed up with a shiny new bike lock! That held us for a few days until one of the kids from my hell class on Wednesday swiped it! I thought it was hilarious. I mean I'm going to have to punish them for it, theft of school property is pretty serious around here and I'm sure they all know who did it, but still...it's pure gold. So, for the past few days I have been without a lock again...I wonder if this will finally push the administrators to shell out the big bucks (I'm guessing no more than $10-20) to fix my stupid lock. I'll keep you guys posted!

Now...for randomness...

Along roadside construction they have motorized dummies (his light saber arm waves up and down) to slow drivers down...I think they go well with the  fake cop lights on the sides of highways:


So you can put some faces to the names...from left to right: Bart, Kim, Nicole, Ross, me, Maggie (at the Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival)


Stuff I see on my way to work (which is getting to be an awesome walk...sometimes by the canal all I can hear are birds and the sound of the "river"...very peaceful!):

Rose after a morning rain:


Roses and cherry blossoms:



Wheee...it's like snow, but without the freezing your face off sensation:


My awesome diagrams during class:


Okay, that's it for today...tonight a bunch of friends and I are heading into Masan for dinner and this weekend...well, this weekend is wide open right now. If nothing comes up, I think I'll just do the random thing of heading into Masan and taking the first bus that goes anywhere that sounds interesting :)

Have a great weekend, everyone!
T

No comments:

Post a Comment