Tuesday 19 April 2011

I found the end of the sea! (Also, new pics from Tongyeong, Geoje and Jinhae)

'Tis true...I found the end of the sea in Masan...kind of cool to go to all these places I used to look at on Google Maps back home! (New pics of Tongyeong, Geoje and Jinhae will be at the bottom of today's and tomorrow's posts :) ).

But, first things first...yesterday I had my easiest day since I started work! I usually have 3 classes plus my afterschool English club on Week B Tuesdays, so not a bad day, but because of the teachers' competition, they cancelled one of my classes and my English club, so all day I had to teach two classes...one of which was a games class. Awesome.

In one of the classes a kid fell asleep (noticed it at the beginning of a game where everyone had to stand up haha), so I snapped a quick pic...pretty funny. I really felt bad for the kid more than anything...these poor guys usually go to school 6 days a week 10-14 hours a day...I'd be snoozing every chance I got too...



Anyhoo...after work I caught the bus to go into an area of Masan I have only driven through. It's near Sinsegae (a huge department store), E-Mart (cheap food store) and Home Plus (kind of like Wal Mart). It's also near the Masan Stadium and, as I found out, the end of the sea!

Ta-daaaa! (Yes, it doesn't look very glorious...)


But...just on the other side of where I took this picture, they have this awesome living mural...it's a wavy picture made out of potted flowers...looks like a painting from far, very cool!


There's also a little park nearby with piles and piles of workout equipment. Interestingly enough, you never see anyone under 40 on them...the older generation are pretty active around here...the 25 and under crowd are by and large are content to watch TV and play video games, from what I've seen.

While walking around, I saw a few funny things...an afterschool "academy" aka...afterschool school...I want to get my master's degree from here:


Couple of girls with awesome backpacks...I just saw the backpacks first and it was too funny not to snap a picture of:



Once it got dark, I headed to the shops to see what I could find...I picked up some healthy cereal from Home Plus and found a ton of vegetarian stuff (the usual soy wieners, sausages, etc) at E-Mart. It's nice to know I don't have to go all the way to Changwon (which really isn't that far, but it's probably an extra 20 minutes each way) to get them. And...I also found frozen vegetarian pizzas! A ton of them...I bought three different kinds. They're not too expensive, about the same as back home...a 400g pizza was just a little over $4. They should add a bit of variety to my meals. It's not easy, but definitely possible to be a vegetarian and have a delicious, balanced diet in Korea.

After that, I got on a bus and in less than 20 minutes I was in my apartment...can't complain about that! (For all you people in my area, I'd highly suggest the #250 to get into that part of Masan...it's quick...from the bus stop across Shinsegae to the bus stop by the hospital was about 17 minutes).

Lastly...I edited some more pictures from the past few weekends, thought I'd post up a couple...

One of my favourites from the Geoje beach:


Another one from Geoje:


Waterfront in Tongyeong:


And finally...view of Jinhae (during the Cherry Blossom Festival) from the lookout tower at the top of the hill (one of the main attractions was that little grassy patch in the middle of town, they had performers and stuff there all weekend long):


That's it for today! I'm not sure what I'm up to today, I'm hoping to do some more exploring and I really should activate my phone...we'll see...oh and today's the weekly foreigners' meeting at a pub, I'll probably drop by there and say hi to people. :)

Have a great day, talk to you guys soon! :)
T

No comments:

Post a Comment