Thursday 21 April 2011

I am putting myself on depression/homesickness watch.

That's right. According to more than a few foreigners I have talked to in Korea, depression and home sickness set in at 6 weeks. I am on 5 weeks and 5 days (Monday will be 6 weeks), so I feel it's only sensible to be vigilant about this. So far, I am exhibiting none of the symptoms. Every day I go out and see something new, I love the fact that I'm in Korea, it's still a rush to stop for a second and think "wow...I'm living in Korea. I'm a resident of Asia." Still blows my mind. I'm still meeting awesome new people and getting to know my "older" friends here more and more. I do miss my friends and family back home and am looking forward to moving home when the time is right, but I get to talk to them often and I know they'll be there when I get back, so it's not holding me back from enjoying my life here. My biggest problem is trying to juggle all the awesome stuff I'm invited to do, everything from exploring new cities to hanging out on a rooftop and vegging out with some chill people. I still go to school on Monday and wonder how the heck it got to be Friday moments later. The weeks fly by, I like my job and the weekends are always fun. I am never bored, never angry, never sad, never taking anything too seriously.

So, as you can see, either I'm having an awesome life or I'm in deep, deep denial and the predicted breakdown is around the corner. Hence the depression/homesickness watch. So...if you guys find me rocking back and forth in a corner clutching my Canada hoodie and muttering "Don't laugh...the beaver is a noble and proud animal" while holding a tear-stained picture of my family, help me. Pour some maple syrup down my throat and tell me a story about ladybugs and bunnies like my dad used to do when we were kids.

Right...on to other business. Yesterday I went into Changwon (got a ride from another teacher who lives right where I wanted to go) to check out some places for my friend Laura and I to hang out at when she comes to visit this weekend. I really wanted to take her to Yongji Lake (thanks Mark for showing me that place!), but I didn't know where it was, neither did I know which buses to take and where they were. So, I went scouting.

Yongji Lake was awesome...it's apparently a natural lake (though some say man-made) in the heart of Changwon. I didn't have my big camera with me, so I just messed around with the G9 and I really like the little guy!

Waterwheel (I love the built-in Neutral Density filter in the G9!)


Beautiful (and huge!) yellow and red tulips are EVERYWHERE in downtown Changwon...hopefully I can get some more pics for you guys this weekend:


Up on the hill they have a bunch of tanks, helicopters, warplanes...


...and what appears to be artillery captured from the North Koreans:


There's a cool building across the lake (it's surrounded by all the war machines).

During the day:


And at night:


I think I like the night shot better...what do you think?

And a random night shot at the park (for the first time since I've been here, I just sat down on a bench and enjoyed the warm spring night, the people going about their business and the beautiful scenery. I love exploring, so I'm always on the go, but I really should do nothing more often :))


Random: even though they don't really celebrate Easter (which is too bad, I've always liked Easter), a bunch of students came around yesterday with decorated boiled eggs (and a pinch of salt in the tinfoil) for all the teachers...it was very cute...and delicious :)


Well, that's about it...except, on the way in today I noticed that they took the gigantic projection TV out of my classroom and replaced it with a big LCD screen...booyah...I'll have some pics of it later...plus I'll have to figure out how to sneak a bunch of friends in for a movie night haha.

That's it for today! Happy Easter everyone and thanks for reading! Have a great weekend, talk to you on Monday :)

T

No comments:

Post a Comment